Dec 22, 2017

Working out at home

I would really like to work out at home. I am a 22 year old full-time college student, who also works 30 hours a week as a hair stylist. I do have some evenings a week I can work out at home for 30 minutes to an hour, but I just don't know what all there is to do without any machines, and little exercise videos on hand. I was always in sports in high school so I was in great shape, but now I am 20-30 pounds overweight and I really want to change that. I've been doing great with my dieting, but I just really want to work out. Do you have any suggestions as far as a routine for me to shed the weight?

Thank you

Yoga on the cheap?

A friend of mine bought me a month's worth of yoga classes over the summer. I loved it! I've never found an exercise/fitness regimen that I actually WANTED to stick with. It helped with a lot of my long-standing physical issues (balance, back pain, stress, fatigue) and was a perfect balance of stretching and strengthening for my fitness goals. The only problem is that now that my month is over... I can't really afford to do it anymore. I've looked all around for inexpensive and conveniently located studios, but I can't find anything that's in my price range or fits in my schedule. What resources are there for broke aspiring yogis? Are there any guidelines for practicing yoga at home? Are there any exercise routines that are similar to yoga (i.e., low impact, stretching+strengthening) that are less expensive or easier to do without an instructor?

Track versus treadmill

Why is it I can always run a greater distance on a track than I can on a treadmill? On a track, I can run five or six miles, but on a treadmill, I can only go a maximum of three or four, then I tucker out. Is it because I get more bored on a treadmill, or is there a more physical explanation?

How to choose/use exercise DVDs

I have a busy schedule (don't we all?) but I've been experimenting with different ways to stay active. I like the idea of using an exercise DVD but there are so many of them out there that I'm having a hard time deciding which one would be right for me. In addition, a lot of workout DVDs make crazy claims about weight loss or muscle gains that I don't think are credible (or even desirable!). I'm not trying to lose a ton of weight or have a great body — I just want to be more active and challenge myself to get in better shape. I don't want an exercise DVD that's going to push me way past my limits or overtrain me in the hopes of getting these results.

What should I look for when I'm picking an exercise DVD? Are there particular instructors, brands, companies, etc. that are more or less reputable? How do I find something that's not too challenging, but still pushes me? Also, do you have any suggestions on how to start an at-home fitness regimen?