I just heard about some free benefits for students purchasing the Student Health Insurance Plan, such as free physical exams yearly, free contraceptive pills, and free removal of wisdom teeth. I am on the basic plan and wish to know if you could give us an overview of other possible free benefits of our plan that I may not be aware of? Thank you!
You’re right — the services mentioned (and more!) are available to Columbia University students on the Morningside campus who are enrolled in the Gold(or Platinum) Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). Students on the CUMC campus also have access to similar services, but for a more detailed description, visit the Student Health Service (SHS) Student Insurance Information webpage.
Many Morningside students prefer the Columbia Plan because the benefits are designed to complement the services available on campus (bonus: the paperwork to sign-up is often more streamlined). Still, even for those who chose to waive the Columbia Plan, many other comprehensive insurance plans cover the services you mentioned. And now, with the changes triggered by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), most insurance providers are required by law to cover many preventive services completely, and cannot legally charge a co-pay or co-insurance. Now, let’s get back to your original question. Here’s just a sampling of services available to students who are enrolled in the Columbia Plan (Gold or Platinum):
- Intrauterine Device (IUD) prescriptions and insertions, available through your campus primary care provider at no charge.
- Emergency contraception (EC) at no charge, available through your campus primary care provider.
- Students enrolled in the Columbia Plan also have access to the AETNA Vision Discount Program, which provides discounted prices for eye care products, including sunglasses, contact lenses, non-prescription sunglasses, contact lens solutions, and other eye care accessories. More information is available at Columbia’s AETNA Student Health page
- Students enrolled in the Columbia Plan can opt to participate in the AETNA Advantage Dental Plan, which provides preventive dental care at five dollars per visit.
But wait, there’s more! In addition to and separate from the Columbia Plan, you have access to many additional services because, if you’re a full-time student, you’ve paid (or will pay) the Columbia Health Fee (CHF). Whether you’re enrolled in the Columbia Plan or an alternate plan, this is a required fee and gives you access to many amazing services. Here are some services and resources the CHFcovers, with no additional charge to you:
- Condoms and other safer sex materials, available at various campus locations.
- Routine and urgent care visits (including dermatological, sexual, and gynecological health) with Medical Services (Morningside Campus) or Student Health (Medical Center Campus).
- Travel assessments through the Road Travel Medicine Program, which offers information and immunizations for international travel.
- Tobacco Cessation services.
- Oral contraceptives, available through your campus primary care provider.
- Up to five sessions of acupuncture at Medical Services, when referred by your Medical Services provider.
- Vaccines for Hepatitis A and B, Meningococcal Meningitis, Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR), Pneumonia, Tuberculosis, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis, Chicken Pox, and Shingles.
- Short-term mental health counseling through Counseling and Psychological Services (Morningside Campus) or Mental Health Services (Medical Center Campus).
- Workshops and trainings to teach skills or techniques necessary to address sexual or relationship violence from Sexual Violence Response. Additional services for survivors of sexual or relationship violence are also available.
- Flu shots — make an appointment with your campus primary care provider through Open Communicator or go to a campus flu shot fair.
- Confidential HIV testing and treatment.
- Access to various services provided by Alice! Health Promotion, including Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students (BASICS), interactive trainings on various health topics, nutrition initiatives, resources for better sleep, and Stressbusters (who provide amazing back rubs btw).
- Assistive technology, academic skills workshops, and learning specialists for students with disabilities through Disability Services.
- And more!
Every full-time and international Columbia student must have medical insurance. Full-time and international Morningside students will default into the Gold level which is provided by AETNA. Most students who have insurance (that meets the university waiver requirements and the Affordable Care Act mandates) through an employer, parent, spouse, Medicaid (NYC), or other means may request a waiver from the Columbia Plan if their plan is comparable.
For a complete list of all the services covered by the Columbia Student Medical Insurance Plan, check out the Columbia Health website and frequently asked questions on Columbia Health’s website. If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact Columbia’s Insurance Office. If you are a student at the CUMC campus and have questions about your insurance options or benefits, contact the SHS Insurance Customer Service.
Stay healthy and connected on campus!Alice!